The two-day course “International Contracts for non- lawyers” is specifically designed to provide professionals with a comprehensive overview of the legal aspects one has to take into consideration when negotiating and/or using international contracts.
Who should attend?
The course is specifically designed for any non-legal professional working with (or interested in) international contracts. You might work as a senior executive, finance professionals, (international) sales managers, technical and IT experts, research & development staff, general managers and many others
- The participants will become more familiar with the legal aspects of the negotiation process, the contract structure, the most important contract clauses and in particular the legal differences between various countries.
- The participants will become more aware of the considerable impact these legal differences may have on any given international contract.
- Finally, the participants will find themselves more familiar with the legal concepts and English terminology used in international contracts.
Course structure covers the following areas
- Introduction to International Contract Law
- Selection of fundamental basic legal concepts relevant to international contracts such as: applicable law, relevant international organizations etc.
- The pre-contractual phase; the impact of letters of Intent and non-disclosure agreements
- Formation, recitals and the battle of forms
- Analysis of the contract structure and the most important contract clauses:
1. Interpretation clauses
2. Limitation of liability and liquidated damages
3. Conformity of goods and services / best efforts
4. Penalty clauses
5. Confidentiality clauses
6. Assignment clauses
7. Force Majeure & hardship clauses
8. Termination clauses
9. Choice of law and jurisdiction
10. International dispute resolution
Method of teaching
The course is very interactive and exist of many practical examples and exercises that the participants have to solve together. The teaching takes place in English.
Jochem van Rijn is a Dutch Lawyer with more than 15 years of international working experience. He has taught various international legal courses at Aarhus University and the University of Southern Denmark. In addition, Jochem has teaching arrangements with professional organisations in Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland. He has also provided various in-house courses at law-firms and ministries in the Nordic region. Jochem understands and speaks Danish.
Har du faglige spørgsmål så kontakt
- Vicki Bech Hansen
- +45 72202465